Thursday, August 7, 2014

Light Chi Sau

David is incredibly unlucky.  He has been sick more than anyone I know this summer :( He still showed up though!

We did light chi sau last night. My buddy Mike from work showed up, which was incredible.  He has a wealth of knowledge coming from kempo, and it was interesting to watch his interaction with the rest of the guys.  There is such a marked difference between wing chun and other styles (particularly our wing chun).  I can't wait for more sparring and outsider interaction.

What people understand about wing chun but have a hard time implementing:
1. spring - energy emanating from your solar plexus towards opposing energy
2. structure - keeping your hands in your center (not pulling them back or to the side/etc..)
3. isolation - the best way to keep your balance is to keep you spine straight up and down
    - I noticed in videos that I struggle with this! My natural posture is to hunch slightly.  I think it's cause I'm so lanky

It sounds easy, but making your default action come from these theories takes time, understanding, and devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment