Thursday, October 16, 2014

Last Leg and Systema

So Saturday classes have started back for me, which means I get to finalize my open hand (no weapons) training and refine what we chunners call, "the spring."  I know I've described, "the spring" in previous posts, but it boggles my mind how after 5 years of study, I can still learn minute details about my own body by applying this theory.

Last night I was talking with Ryan and he mentioned something that continual confirms what I'm talking about.  There always seems to be some very simple economic motion to return to our center line, and it's always the spring that guides us there. He said that often he has to not think of the motion as combative to figure out a way to his center.  I think that's true about all motions in Wing Chun.  Everyone I've ever sparred with and when I myself attempt to force an attack to hit, it opens our center line more.  This in turn distorts our wedge theory and makes it easier for an opponent to hit us.

This lesson is hard for a lot of people, as their ego's get in the way, but if we can drop our ego's and just stick to our structure and spring, we're much more effective.  example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvBTy28VJM

The Wednesday night class that I teach was cancelled last night because EVERYONE was sick.  How lame is that?  So I went to Systema.  It was interesting to say the least, but personally and maybe obviously, I prefer Wing Chun.  Fight Yoga is a way I would use to describe it, or Russian Tai Chi. I really thought their warm ups were nice, and I like the mentality.  The parallels between different martial arts is always fun to encounter because when it works, it works!

My teacher gave me a great compliment last Saturday.  He told me that I'm moving into a master skill level!  After this quarter, I'll be getting my final certificate with Minh.  Wing Chun... what a journey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment